

I have had 2 blowouts within the last month and a half. The first one was MAJOR-it happened about halfway between Lubbock and Denton, and you can tell from the pictures that it was just shredded to pieces. Once I realized my tire was blowing out, I looked in my rearview mirror, saw stuff just flying everywhere, and then suddenly I was on my rim. In fact, you could see the white marks where I had ridden on my rim for a few seconds. I opened the door and smelled the stench of burning rubber, but I did not know which tire it was (turned out to be the left passenger side). Luckily, not even 5 minutes later a state trooper came by and changed it (I am so thankful for him-here is my shout out to Harley, the state trooper!!) The funniest part (and I really wish I would've gotten a picture of this) is when I looked across the road there were a bunch of cows staring at me as if to say, "What are YOU doing?". I did not have much time to think about how funny it was at the moment, but a few minutes after I had driven off I definitely had a good chuckle and wished I would've snapped a picture.
THEN...yesterday I was driving to Plano to meet a friend for lunch on 75, and was right past Dallas in Richardson. If you are a Dallas-ite or have ever been on 75 you know how crazy it is at any time. Anyway, I felt something wrong but at first thought it was the road, and then I realized that it was my tire-but did not know which one. I pulled over as fast as I could-and I really don't know how I got over like I did-I don't even remember getting all the way over. I was definitely being watched out for. The shoulder was TINY and cars were FLYING by me-yep, not such a fun situation. I had to open the door (scary!) and get out of the car to see which tire it was, and it was my front driver's side. I could smell rubber like I could when I had the major blowout, so I knew it was not good. I was really close to an exit and was hoping I could get off, but there was no way. I was just praying that everyone was paying attention and no one would hit me! Luckily, I have roadside assistance from my cell phone plan, so they sent someone to come out and change my tire-which he did in an AMAZING amount of time. I was worried about anyone getting out there because there was really no room between my car and the other cars flying by me at a high rate of speed. But, he is a pro and had it done in no time. I was very impressed.

As you can imagine, I was a little frustrated with Discount Tire, because these have been so unpredictable, random, and scary. I had never had a blowout before, and to have two like that so close together like that-I knew something was amiss. I know that things could've been MUCH worse either time. The first time, I thought about how lucky I was not to be on a packed highway because my tire just tore into shreds behind me. Then, of course it happened the second time on a packed highway, but luckily I got over before it tore into shreds. I really still don't know how I got over-I was 3 lanes over from the shoulder and suddenly I was there. Anyway, my tires are under warranty at Discount Tire, but mind you we have already replaced two within a 6 month span (and I got them in January of last year), and now this would be number three. Well, we found out that the valve stems on the tires are the culprit. Not long after I brought my last tire in, they found this out and were starting to send out letters to people who had bought such tires to let them know. Ok, so that would have been REALLY nice to know BEFORE!!!! Things really could have been much worse, someone could have been injured or killed-and who knows how many other people have had this same problem. My tires were Michelin, and they said that had nothing to do with Michelin-but I don't know. Thankfully, I got two new tires and they refunded the money we had to pay for a new rim last time. I really hope they get the word out soon to everyone else!
MORAL of the story: If you have bought Michelin tires and/or tires from Discount Tires within the last couple of years, have had blowouts, flat tires, etc. lately-I would HIGHLY recommend getting them checked out for everyone's safety. I would hate to think that someone could get hurt or killed over something like this-especially when it can be prevented and it is their malfunction.
On top of that excitement, I am thinking about a major career change that I will most likely have to make a decision about within the next few days. It will include some immediate training and certification, and money I do not currently have-and then I would still have to find a job. It is scary, exciting, and yet unsure. I am just trying to figure out where to go from here, because I have to go somewhere and soon. I am more than tired of having this unsettling, frustrating feeling and ready for life to move forward. Anyway, please pray again for me to make the right decision and trust in God. That has not always been so easy, but He has definitely reminded me all the way that I can lean on Him and trust Him.
Hope you all had a blessed and wonderful fourth! :)







4 comments:
So glad you weren't hurt with the tire situation. Are you sure you weren't training for some NASCAR thing?
I'll be praying for you and just know that God puts opportunities in front of us, but it is up to us to take advantage of them. I woke up this morning with a song stuck in my head and it goes a little like this, "He is able, more than able, to do much more than we can ever dream!" So true and exciting. Take care.
Oh, my!!! How scary for you, I'm so glad that everything went ok, and thanks for getting the word out. We use Discount Tire, too.
Can't wait to hear about this new career change. Good luck!
I'm really glad you didn't get seriously hurt with your tire blowouts!!
I'm praying for you and your career change!! I just put in my two-weeks notice in at work today and moving to Fort Worth in a couple of weeks so I'm very nervous myself about a new job! GOOD LUCK!!!!! :)
Wow! sounds like an adventure. It's a good thing God was watching over you!! I'll be praying for you, I know how hard job hunting can be.
Post a Comment