Life as God intends for you to live it is nothing less than an adventure. You were born to live a GREAT ADVENTURE; You were created with a divine destiny; You are called to fulfill a great mission. You were designed for a unique purpose. Now, you are called to live it out...

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Shine like stars

I have this really awesome blouse that has little silver sparkly dots all over it. They are really awesome looking when the light hits them with all kinds of colors and sparkle. Whoever made the shirt did not use very good glue though, for they shed ALL over the place. I wore it earlier this week and was picking up pieces all day long; and now 4 days later I keep finding them-at work, in my car, my shoes, my bed, the bathroom, just about everywhere I look.

When I started seeing them everywhere, it reminded me of Jesus and how He has called us to be the light of the world-leaving that light everywhere we go all along the path of our lives. Every time I see one now I think of how we as disciples of Christ should be sparkling in this dark world, shining our beacons of light to everyone we meet. He has shown His light into our hearts to give us "the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ" (2 Corinthians 4:6). Isn't that awesome?!

Jesus consistently talked about how while He was in the world He was the light of the world; and whoever follows Him will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life. In the Sermon on the Mount He spoke these words:

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. ~Matthew 5:13-16

We are also instructed to "shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing" ~Philippians 2:15b-16

I am afraid I am not always great at this, though I try-and I think it is ever more important now that we are letting our light shine when we are living in uncertain times, and increasingly post-Christian society, and at a time when the image of those of us claiming to be Christians is not always shed in the most positive light (and sometimes for good reasons).

It is actually amazing sometimes how much something small can make a persons day or encourage them. A smile, a pat on the back, a hand-written note, a compliment, an encouraging word of advice or comfort, a nice tip for someone who helped or waited on you, taking time to call or sit down and listen to them, giving up your seat or allowing a car to go in front of you in line, and the list could go on.

Whatever we do, wherever we go, whatever we say-let us remember that we are the sparkles of Christ, the light of the world, a city on a hill, and we are called to shine like stars in a world that needs the ultimate light.

What are ways you can shine like stars?

2 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Very well said. I love the blouse illustration.

Sometimes I struggle to shine "all" the time.

:)

Kristen Ballard said...

Your are so great that you can find a lesson from your shirt!!! I like to give people compliments on their shirt, shoes, hair, whatever. It makes me feel better when people do that, so I try to do it to others.