
As of Saturday, May 9, 2009 at around 12:06 pm I became a MASTER!!! What a journey. It is hard to adequately describe how it felt to FINALLY walk across that stage. My heart was pounding and I was ecstatic!! 7 years wrapped up in only a few short steps across the stage...mixed with a hooding, several handshakes, a hug and encouraging words from Jack Reese, and the handing over of my "diploma". Wow.
It feels so strange to have this chapter over in my life. It began 7 years ago...I knew while I was working on my Bachelor's at LCU that I would want to pursue my Master's-so I started part time at LCU to get my feet wet, taking 6 hours a semester. The classes were online, which was a bit different, and there was definitely WAY more reading and writing involved!! However after my first year, I actually had a 4.0!! (My first B came in Old Testament towards the end of my 2nd year). I knew I would eventually transfer to ACU, and after a summer youth ministry internship in Alaska I contacted them about transferring the following spring...because this was about a week before school actually started! Much to my surprise, they said I could enroll in the fall-so I made a mad dash around Lubbock getting transcripts, references, filling out applications, and making plans to move to Abilene!!
That was quite the whirlwind of a week, and before I knew it I was in Abilene...even before I had a place to stay or a job. I don't know if that was the smartest decision, but I became a full time graduate student for the first time and went full force that year. However, after that year I realized that I could not handle the copious amount of loans I was acquiring (after all I was majoring in ministry!!!), and knew I had to find a job that would allow me to go to school, but would also allow me to pay for it. I was blessed to be hired at ACU as a Residence Director, which not only was a great job financially with benefits, but also paid for my school. It was an awesome chance at ministry and experience, but it did slow me down academically because the job and my girls came first. My professors were incredibly understanding and worked with me, and that position taught me more life experience than I think any classroom could.
Though it was a struggle at times and there were many challenges which arose along the way, I am thankful for my time at ACU. God really led me through, even when I could not see it or wondered what the heck I was doing or if it would ever be worth it. I was truly blessed with some incredible professors and relationships while I was there, and am grateful for each one. I loved how my professors were not only my teachers; but also my friends who invited me into their homes, their family's lives, and several of them I worshiped with weekly. That really struck me this weekend as each of them again spoke blessings and words of wisdom into my life, even after 2 years of not being in Abilene.
What an incredible day!! It began with the Graduate School of Theology's "Covenant Service" where the graduates, professors, families, and friends gather together to covenant with God and each other in our efforts to take what we have learned and use it wisely to teach others. I was blessed with the opportunity to lead the prayer for ministry to the nations, which was really special-especially in light of where I just was and where I might be soon. It was even more poignant because many of the girls who were in McDonald Hall my first year as an RD were also graduating; and it was awesome to watch them walk across that stage, cheer them on, and hug many of their necks afterwards!! In fact, several of them were mentioned during graduation-one was ACU's honor woman and another led the alma mater!! I was a proud "Mama K"! ;)
I could never have done it without my Father who led me through; all of my family and friends who encouraged, spurred me along, & walked beside me on this journey. I am so thankful-I realize how blessed I have been by this opportunity and by all of the people who God has placed in my life along the way. Now, I hope I can put it all to use!! ;)
I am thankful for the ultimate Master who led me on this journey and continues to lead...







2 comments:
I'm so proud of you ... :)
I love the picture too.
awesome
Post a Comment