In Mike Yaconelli's (Isn't that just an awesome name?!) book, I have been reminded that the legacy of those who follow Jesus and were even included in his lineage we find in the beginning of Matthew is...messy. They, like us, both have strengths and weaknesses, were challenged to follow God; were tempted, tried, and blessed-people like David, Abraham, Lot, Saul, Solomon, Rahab, and Sarah...as Mike describes were
"God-loving, courageous, brilliant, fearless, loyal, passionate, committed holy men and women who were also murderers, adulterers, and manic depressives. They were men and women who could be gentle, holy, defenders of the faith one minute, and insecure, mentally unstable, unbelieving, shrewd, lying, grudge holding tyrants the next."I have felt like a mess lately; sometimes wondering if I have made the wrong choices, passed up opportunities, or just somehow missed a door God was opening and have dug myself a hole. I just sometimes feel like I am not quite in the plan, even though I am trying to follow Him the best I can. But in that mess, I have also found a completely new realm of my relationship with my Father. One where the only thing I can do is trust, rely, and BElieve that He has a plan, He is in control, and the knowledge that I don't have to have all of the answers (That I have known for a long time!) Spirituality and following Jesus is not a tidy, neat package we can wrap a bow around and set it on a shelf. It IS messy, it takes us to the unknown, and can look a bit crazy. Mike describes it as
"complex, complicated, and perplexing-the disorderly, sloppy, chaotic look of authentic faith in the real world."It is a constant journey of finding ourself in Christ, and even when we lose focus-He gently guides us back into the fold and His plan.
I LOVE this line: "Messy spirituality is the delirious consequence of a life ruined by Jesus who will love us right into His arms."
We don't have to be perfect to follow Jesus (Can I get an AMEN?!)-in fact I believe He does His best work in the midst of our messiness. I love what Jeff Walling says about needing a MESSiah because of our mess. It is a common misconception among Christians and non-Christians, and can sometimes be the absolute worst in churches and the reason why many steer far far away from them and us...that we must be perfect to go to church, for Jesus to accept us, and even when things suck-we have to put on a happy face and act like everything is great. That is far from authentic and far from the community I believe Jesus really intended for us to have. He would not have died on a cruel cross if we were expected to be perfect. Mike also claims,
"What landed Jesus on the cross was the preposterous idea that common, ordinary, broken, screwed-up people could be godly! What drove Jesus crazy were His criticisms of the 'perfect' religious people and His acceptance of the imperfect, religious people."Isn't it so reassuring knowing that? Breathe out a sigh of relief and take that in...you don't have to be perfect. I don't have to be perfect. Look at Jesus' disciples! They were the closest to Him; and still could not understand much of His message, fought and were confused most of the time, and after He died were still unsure what to do. Thomas himself had to actually see and touch before He could believe it was Jesus.
Face it-we're all a mess ;) But, thankfully we have a MESSiah who is willing to reach into our messes, and make something beautiful-using us in spite of AND because of what we have to offer. I don't know about you, but I am sure grateful for that!! Grateful for a Father who is willing to love me back into His arms, even when I have gotten off course. Grateful for the ways He has used others to show that love and blessed me beyond comprehension. Grateful that I don't have to be perfect to follow Him, that He calls me His child, and is willing to use my imperfections...for, Jesus has said
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made PERFECT in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. ~2 Corinthians 12:9I am so thankful that our Messiah can take our messes and work good out of them. For...
We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. ~Romans 8:28







2 comments:
AMEM, Katherine! :)
Hope you're doing well.
Truth
Last comment should have read.
AMEN, Katherine!
Hope you are doing well.
Truth
Sorry about the typing.
Keep praising Him!!
Post a Comment