Life as God intends for you to live it is nothing less than an adventure. You were born to live a GREAT ADVENTURE; You were created with a divine destiny; You are called to fulfill a great mission. You were designed for a unique purpose. Now, you are called to live it out...

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Back in the saddle again ;)

Okay, so I have been thinking about updating this all of June-but it has been one busy, crazy, and wonderful month!! :) I have been blessed with the incredible opportunity to do what I love most, what God called me to in the beginning, and what I have missed most about the past several summers (and most of the year, for that matter)...youth ministry!!!

It all began at the beginning of June when I decided to help sponsor the Garden Ridge kids to Encounter (my favorite camp and week ever!!), where I completely fell in love with these kids. I never could have imagined what a blessing they would be, and how much it would enhance my Encounter experience-which has been SO amazing thus far!! If you know me, you pretty much know that I LOVE Encounter, the blessing it is, and the role it has played throughout my life. I even got the privilege of driving them home in the van with the trailer, and had some crazy girls in that van ;) We had a blast. Encounter was amazing (as usual) this year-very challenging for both the kids and for us. The theme was "Rise" and each keynote challenged us in various ways to not just sit in church, but to BE the church. We were reminded that the statistics of kids who grow up in the church, go to college, and lose their faith are staggering-and we want them to have a strong foundation that will carry them boldly into the future. They were challenged to get out of the boc, get out of the pews, and go be the hands and feet to others-not just talk about it, but DO it!! I went to classes every day with the kids, ate lunch with them, hung out during free time, took pictures everywhere they went (they called me their personal papparazi) ;), and could not have been more proud of a group. They really impressed me-they take care of each other, and that is a beautiful thing! All in all, the week was awesome-God really spoke, hearts were touched, 20+ plus kids were baptized, I enjoyed getting to know the kids and having good conversations with some really great friends that I do not get to see often enough!!








After we returned from Encounter, I felt like I finally belonged. Garden Ridge is home now, and I wanted (plus I think John was thankful!) to keep helping. So since then, I have sponsored a junior high lock-in, girls night out, service projects, Capture the Flag games, helped organize a surprise birthday party, and last night enjoyed a Ranger game (with massive heat, a win, and a great fireworks show!!) I also helped out with VBS, which was a blast-I had the opportunity to take pictures every night of the classes and kids, and loved it. At the end of that week, they had a guy come in who does Nickelodeon type games with a Biblical twist, and at the end they had several adults come up who had been helping all week. Well, of course not everyone was there-so they had some empty chairs, and my lovely kids began yelling my name over and over until they called me up there...and I ended up with whipped cream up my nose. Awesome. I need a raise! Oh, did I mention I am not getting paid? ;) John said he would quadruple my salary. Ha ha. I just know I am going to have big gold stars with my name on them in heaven!! No, I REALLY do love it...but, I kind of wish I said way back when that I would do youth ministry without pay (I did not REALLY mean it!) ;)

It has been really great...to have a purpose...to build relationships with these kids and parents...to work with John, Susan, Josh, Jackie, and Kaila, and to have a church family again that I love being a part of and going to. I think it even means so much more after how hard the last few years have been-it is like my senses are enhanced and everything is that more meaningful and special. I cherish every moment, and am thankful for the opportunity. In fact, I should head to bed-because in about 7 hours we are headed out to take some kids to Arkansas for camp, and are staying with them a few days before we return!! I also have some big decisions to make and things to do-which I will update more about when we get back.

Hope you have all had a blessed 4th, are staying out of the heat (especially if it is as hot as it has been here), are being surrounded by family and friends that you love and love you, are reminded of God's faithfulness and beauty daily, & remember that every moment and every day is one to be cherished-which we have been reminded of ever so more in recent days. God is GOOD!! :)

1 comment:

Kelly (race_12_1) said...

This is so awesome! To feeling of being in the body, belonging in the body, being used in the body, and then knowing that the Lord is the one who orchestrated all of it!! I am so glad that you feel that sense of belonging.